Invisalign is a new and versatile type of orthodontic treatment that may be used to correct a broad range of dental and orthodontic issues without the need to use metallic braces.
It works by using a series of nearly invisible, removable aligners that you change every two weeks. Each aligner is individually made to exact calculations to gradually move your teeth into place and must be worn for at least 22 hours per day. As you replace each aligner, your teeth will move little by little, week by week, until they have straightened to the final desired position.
What are the advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces?
- Bio Compatibility. At BCD we prefer to minimise the placement of different metals in the mouth. Invisalign aligners are made of medical grade, polyurethane resins. The aligners do not contain Bisphenol-A or phthalate plasticisers.
- Comfort. Invisalign is comfortable as there are no wires and brackets which can often irritate the inside of the mouth and soft tissues.
- Convenience. Invisalign aligners are removable, unlike fixed metal braces. You have the flexibility to eat and drink what you want during treatment by simply removing the aligners. You can also remove the aligners to brush and floss as you normally would to maintain good oral hygiene and fresh breath.
- Aesthetics. As the aligners are completely transparent they are more difficult to detect than the traditional wire and bracket braces.
As well as treating your specific dental issues, treatment with Invisalign may also positively impact on your general health in the following ways:
- Healthier Gums. Signs of periodontal disease such as swollen bleeding gums may arise due to teeth that are crowded or too widely spaced. When teeth are properly aligned it is much easier to brush and floss, hence maintaining optimal oral hygiene and preventing periodontal disease.
- Improved Chewing. The mouth is the beginning of the digestive tract. It is imperative that food is chewed thoroughly and mixed with saliva and its digestive enzymes. Mal-aligned teeth may make it difficult to chew properly.
- Appearance. For many people a nicely aligned, healthy smile relates to feelings of self confidence. So put yourself in a healthy state of mind with a great looking smile!
How is the treatment carried out?
During the initial consultation, your BCD dentist will discuss the issues you have with your teeth and what kind of results you’re hoping to achieve. If Invisalign is suitable for you, a treatment plan will be formulated with your goals in mind.
We begin by taking dental impressions, x-rays and photographs of your teeth and sending them to Align Technology in the USA. The impressions are put through a CT scan from which a computer creates a three dimensional model. Technicians then individualise the teeth in the computer model and move them to their final position. Custom software then simulates the movement of the teeth in stages.
Invisalign allows you to view your virtual results and treatment plan before you even begin treatment so you can see how your straight teeth are expected to look when your treatment is complete. Once you have approved the treatment plan, an aligner is manufactured for each stage of the computer simulation and sent to us so that treatment may be started.
For more information please visit www.invisalign.com.au